Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Update on my last weekend in Spain


One of the buildings in Sitges.

Although I have been back in the US now for over a week I did have a wonderful weekend in Spain that I felt I should write about.  On Saturday, the 15th of January, we boarded a train and traveled about 45 minutes to a coastal town by the name of Sitges.  When we set foot in this quaint little town we were welcomed to a nice fresh scent of the Mediterranean.  Before we get head down to the beach we set out to find a post office so that we could send off our postcards postmarked from Spain.  That was about an hour adventure of travelling from tobacco store to tobacco store (this is where we discovered they sold stamps) until we finally found one that offered them for sale.  Since the post office was within a couple of blocks of where we finally found the stamps we decided to stop off there and have our postcards properly stamped :)  With that errand behind us we set off to the beach to frolick in the waves and create art in the sand. 

Brrr!

Although we only spent a few hours at the beach it was so nice to just relax and take in the beautiful scenery and just enjoy one another's company.  Afterwards, we located a place to grab a quick sandwich and then set off to do some shopping.  To my dismay, I discovered almost the entire town had shut down for the siesta and my shopping adventures were cut short.  Around 5 we boarded the train back to Barcelona so that we could do some quick shopping before we met up for dinner.  I tried and tried to find the ceramic store I'd been told about, but finally had to give up the ghost as it was time to meet up with the rest of our group for dinner at our favorite establishment.  When we arrived at the restaurant (now the 4th time that we had been back to this place) the owner instantly recognized us and got on the phone to call in our FAVORITE waiter.  About an hour in to dinner, he finally arrived (to this day I still do not know what his name is, but we referred to him as Diego) and our dinner became a joyful matter of much laughter.  Around 11:30 we finally decided to call it an evening and headed in for the night.

Me, KP, Ernesto, owner of restaurant, our FAV waiter, Nicki, Val, & Reese

The next morning we left at 10am to go in to the main part of the city to finish our shopping.  Since I had put this off till the very end, I had a lot to buy in a very short period of time.  I did manage to finish up and then we headed back to start packing and to take a short siesta.  Around 7 we met up with our group and headed to dinner at Tapa Tapa and then boarded the metro to head to the stadium to see FC Barcelona!  I have never experienced the excitement of a sporting event like I did that evening.  I am so glad that I decided to go see the soccer game even if they didn't play till 9pm and we didn't get back to the hotel till around midnight....this was only bad because we needed to be in the lobby at 3:30am to head to the airport to begin our long trek home.  All in all, though, the weekend was a huge success and was worth any shortage of sleep we may have gotten so that we could enjoy our last days in Spain.  I am so thankful that I was able to go on this trip and learn so much about the Spanish culture and the long walks we were able to trek on everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment